Class Presentation for POLS 313
The class presentation is worth 30% of your grade. You should set aside the same amount of time as you would for a term essay worth 30% of your grade.
You will be evaluated on the following:
- Your mastery of the readings and your knowledge of the main pre-occupations in the literature for that week.
- Your ability to make an argument about the literature.
- Your ability to answer questions about the subject.
- You will also be evaluated on a five page paper that is due the following class. This should be an argumentative paper that makes the argument you made orally.
What is the process for doing a presentation?
- See me before September 18 about the topic.
- Read that week's readings and discuss with me other suggested readings.
- Prepare a powerpoint (or overhead) outline a week before your presentation
- You will have 45 minutes. 20 minutes should be devoted to the presentation, with the balance for class discussion.
The presentations will normally follow the topics as indicated in the syllabus and the timing of your presentation will be determined by the topic you choose. I am, however, amenable to other subjects related to the syllabus. Please see me early on about how or if this can be accommodated.
This Queen's website has some good tips for presentations